Hi Daniel,

On Monday, January 21, 2013 1:05:26 PM UTC, Daniel wrote:

> In the larger env it takes about 70 minutes, if it manages to finish at
> all. Initially, as a "quick" test, I was running puppetdb without postgres
> and had to give it 5GB to get it to finish at all (70 mins). With postgres
> 8.4, load on the puppetmaster is significantly reduced, but with 512MB for
> puppetdb (128 + 1MB per node, and then double it for good measure) puppetdb
> still runs out of memory. I set it to 1GB and puppedb just crashed again
> (I've got dumps). Trying with 2GB now. I haven't fiddled with thread
> settings, but my puppet agents aren't deamonized or 'croned', I run them
> using mcollective or manually. So there's only a single puppet agent
> running during this test, on the core nagios server. It seems that there's
> a ruby process taking 100% of one core during this run and nothing else
> "dramatic" seems to be happening (except for puppetdb dying of course).

Given enough RAM it doesn't sound like PuppetDB is the problem any more, is
that correct?

The Ruby process is most likely a Puppet Master thread doing the catalog
construction. I think your suffering from a similar problem that we had
recently, where it's not specifically resource collection that's taking up
all the time, it's the Puppet Master turning the exported resources
information into one enormous catalog that takes too long.

We got around this by bypassing exported resources and querying the
information from PuppetDB directly and using that information in a
template. I suggested the following to another user a few days ago in this
thread:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/puppet-users/X6Lm-0_etbA

-Luke