On Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:20:23 AM UTC-6, MCZ wrote:

> Its puppet 2.7.x latest, I chain resources like this:
>
> node 'puppetmaster-client' {
>          include base::route53::r53server
>          $primary_fqdn = 'puppetmaster.foo.bar'
>          base::route53::r53delegation { ["$primary_fqdn.",'xyz.foo.bar.']:
> } ->Class['base::route53::r53server']
> }

I really don't see the advantage of using the chain operator in that case.
I would write this, instead:

base::route53::r53delegation { ["$primary_fqdn.",'xyz.foo.bar.']:
  require => Class['base::route53::r53server']
}

It means the same thing, but it's clearer (to me) and exposes a smaller
cross-section for bugs.

Nevertheless, I don't think that's related to your problem.  Having looked
at your failure case, I suspect you have a parse-order issue.  Moreover, I
suspect that you are confusing order of resource application with parse
order: only the former is affected by resource relationships, so I don't
think the chain operator is doing what you expected.  I think moving the
declaration of class base::route53::r53server after that of the
base::route53::r53delegation declarations will solve the problem by
ensuring that the delegations are parsed (and their Dnsrecord resources
exported) before the server class is parsed (and at that time collects the
resources):

node 'puppetmaster-client' {
         $primary_fqdn = 'puppetmaster.foo.bar'
         base::route53::r53delegation { ["$primary_fqdn.",'xyz.foo.bar.']: }
         include 'base::route53::r53server'
         # If you really do need chaining then put it here:
}

John