I have a similar requirement as Jon Forrest who opened this topic. I notice
some time has passed since then, so I thought I'd just tap you guys up to
see if anyone had any further solutions.

I'd like to use Jenkins to Unit Test come configs we use whenever someone
commits them. The idea is that we'd take a particular config, "compile" the
templates and copy them to test box and fire up the relevant apps. We can
then shoot our Unit Tests at applications on the test box and report on how
many tests passed or failed.

In order to do this, I need to find a way to "compile" the .erb templates
into their resulting config files. I'll then push them onto my test server
and start up the apps. This would check the syntax of the configs, but
mostly means I have an box running that is pretty much the same as what I'm
going to deploy in the future. In Jon's case, this would mean he'd have a
name server that not only has a valid syntax, but also could respond to
queries (so could be unit tested). In my case, I can just fire some HTTP
requests at the box and make sure it's what I thought it was going to be.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do something like "compile" the
templates? In an ideal world, I'd just run something like
"puppet_generate_file /etc/httpd/conf.d/vhosts.conf" and get the resulting
file on STDOUT (possibly on the machine that would normally receive the
file in question). Even better would be if I could do this on an entirely
different machine and still get the same result (maybe something like
"puppet_generate_file
otherserver.example.com:/etc/httpd/conf.d/vhosts.conf").

Any ideas?