I have a puppet master on Centos 6.3 connected and working properly with
other Centos 6.3 agent. I installed puppet agent via gems on a RED HAT 4
node. This is what happens when I try to sign certificate for the new node:

AGENT

[root@FP2 ~]$ puppet agent -t Info: Creating a new SSL key for fp2 Info:
Caching certificate for ca Info: Creating a new SSL certificate request for
fp2 Info: Certificate Request fingerprint (SHA1):
35:51:A0:12:CF:2E:F7:73:22:C3:5E:51:DC:03:AF:4C:FC:54:5C:10 Exiting; no
certificate found and waitforcert is disabled

MASTER

[root@puppet centos]# puppet cert list "fp2" (SHA1)
35:51:A0:12:CF:2E:F7:73:22:C3:5E:51:DC:03:AF:4C:FC:54:5C:10 [root@puppet
centos]# puppet cert sign fp2 Notice: Signed certificate request for fp2
Notice: Removing file Puppet::SSL::CertificateRequest fp2 at
'/var/lib/puppet/ssl/ca/requests/fp2.pem'

AGENT

[root@FP2 ~]$ puppet agent -t Info: Caching certificate for fp2 Warning:
Unable to fetch my node definition, but the agent run will continue:
Warning: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server certificate
B: certificate verify failed: [certificate signature failure for /CN=Puppet
CA: master] Info: Retrieving plugin Error: /File[/var/lib/puppet/lib]:
Failed to generate additional resources using 'eval_generate: SSL_connect
returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server certificate B: certificate
verify failed: [certificate signature failure for /CN=Puppet CA: master]
Error: /File[/var/lib/puppet/lib]: Could not evaluate: SSL_connect
returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server certificate B: certificate
verify failed: [certificate signature failure for /CN=Puppet CA: master]
Could not retrieve file metadata for puppet://puppet/plugins: SSL_connect
returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server certificate B: certificate
verify failed: [certificate signature failure for /CN=Puppet CA: master]
Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: SSL_connect
returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server certificate B: certificate
verify failed: [certificate signature failure for /CN=Puppet CA: master]
Warning: Not using cache on failed catalog Error: Could not retrieve
catalog; skipping run Error: Could not send report: SSL_connect returned=1
errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server certificate B: certificate verify failed:
[certificate signature failure for /CN=Puppet CA: master]

I tryied several times to clear certificare on master and agent but I have
always the same result. To help to understand and debug the issue, here are
some other informations:

– clocks are syncronized on server and agent

-I installed puppet agent on Red Hat 4 node using the following procedure:

Install ruby

a. wget ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.7-p72.tar.gz

b. tar -xzvf ruby-1.8.7.tar.gz

c. cd ruby-1.8.7

d. ./configure

e. make

f. make install

Install rubygems

a. wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/70696/rubygems-1.3.7.tgz

b. tar xvzf rubygem*.tgz
*

*c. cd rubygem*

d. ruby setup.rb

Install library openssl-devel (needed to instal openssl support for ruby,
otherwise nothing works)

a. wget
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.wesmo.com/pub/redhat/i386/openssl-devel-0.9.7-1.i386.rpm

b. rpm –i openssl-devel-0.9.7-1.i386.rpm (Note: 0.9.7 is the most updated
version of openssl library that can be installed on red hat 4)

Install openssl support for ruby

a. cd /${ruby_src}/ext/openssl

b. ruby extconf.rb

c. make

d. make install

a. Gem install puppet

   - puppet.conf is the same on working and non-working agent

I’m afraid this problem is related to openssl… rpm -qa | grep openssl:

On Centos (master and working nodes)

openssl-devel-1.0.0-25.el6_3.1.i686 openssl-1.0.0-25.el6_3.1.i686

on Red Hat 4 agent:

openssl-0.9.7a-43.17.el4_6.1 openssl-devel-0.9.7-1

Hope someone could help..