On 02/20/2013 12:02 PM, spankthes...@gmail.com wrote:

> Regardless of how much use it has, it is a spof. Once it's down, whole
> cluster malfunctiones. With monolithic CA server down, all clusters are
> malfunctioning.

I disagree. An SSL connection requires two peers and at least one signed
certificate. The client needs to trust the issuer's certificate, but it
needs not contact a ca server to re-validate that certificate for each
connection.

A downtime of the CA service would merely imply that you cannot sign any
new certificates for the time being.

>     Have you had any success signing the certificate using openssl, when
>     the
>     CSR originates with the agent (so, as a start, you do step 2 your way?)
>     Once you have that working, all that's left to do is doing the CSR
>     generation using openssl, which shouldn't be that hard, either. What's
>     hard is not doing it on the agent node.
>

> No, so far I've complete failure. I tried to do it the Mozilla way, from
> the link included in original post, but it fails and I cant find out why.

I only just looked at that. Lots of script work I won't dive into.

I advise to do this bottom up:

1. Set up a plain old puppet master the usual way, make it work with an
agent

2. Once that works, add another agent, but don't "puppet ca sign" its
certificate but instead use an openssl invocation. Place the signed
certificate in the appropriate location on the master host. The agent
should receive it during its next connection.

3. Once that works, generate a CSR on yet a new agent using openssl, put
the files in the appropriate locations in /var/lib/puppet/ssl and do an
agent run. It should send your CSR to the master. Repeat step 2.

4. Once that works, you're basically there. Doing step 3 on the master
node and transferring the files should not be too different.