On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:58:44 PM UTC, Felix.Frank wrote:

> On 02/20/2013 01:28 PM, spankt...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
> > And what would be the purpose of that? That still includes using puppet
> > to create CA, and I want to avoid that completely.
>
> Ah, right. I forgot step 5. Which is replacing the CA with one created
> using openssl. Of course, all other certs are obsolete after you do
> that, so you can use your shiny new process of certifying agents to make
> them new ones.

Great, except I tried that and failed, therefore this thread ;) I was
hoping someone was doing something like that already and know if its
possible, and if it is, how to do it properly.

> > 1. Puppetmaster's vm's are being booted. No CA nor cert actions taken.
> >
> > 2. User goes to web app, click's 'generate CA' - CA gets generated.
>
> A simpler alternative might be:
> 1a. User creates puppetmaster vm for a new pool, that bootstraps itself
> with a CA certificate
> 1b. User adds a puppetmaster vm to an existing pool, by cloning another VM
>
> That way, you need not even implement a frontend for generating CAs on
> the fly.

That's an interesting and tempting perspective, although I have two issues
with it:

a) it would require user to know what is he doing with puppet ca/certs, and
one of the purposes of the web app is to make user's life, and entire
process as easy as possible
b) I would lost control over how many nodes user could add using that CA,
something that would have been applied in the application logic