I'm pretty much brand new to Puppet. I've read the tutorials on puppet
labs, and most of Pro Puppet. But there's still a lot I don't get. So I
figured I'd learn by doing.

My current goal is to write a user account wrapper. It would only be for
local Linux accounts only, only on Ubuntu for now.

I'm not just using the user type because I want to manage ssh authorized
keys as well.

I did find https://github.com/dcsobral/puppet-users, and a few others. But
I'm not fond of the use of csv files, and it seems like a simple enough
module to learn with.

Wrapping user and ssh_authorized_key is simple, just pass in the
information. But I do have a couple questions I couldn't find answers to in
the docs, here, or Google.

*Questions*:

   - What happens when a group listed in the user type does not exist on
   the server?
   - How do I figure out what hash to use for the password when creating a
   new user?
   - Do I just copy the hash directly into the password property? No need
   to tell puppet what kind of hash it is?
   - ssh_authorized_key: name has to be unique. So how do I add a key to
   more than one user?
   - I'd like to simply pass in an array of links(?) to pub key files to my
   wrapper instead of the actual ssh key. How would I tell Puppet to split the
   contents at the spaces so I can get the key, type, and name properties out
   of it?

Future plans would be to manage shell configuration as well. But for now,
all I need is what I've described above.

Oh, when implementing this, does making a
/etc/puppet/manifests/accounts/username.pp file per user, then including
that file on the nodes that need that user, raise any "bad idea" flags for
you?