> > I'm curious to your opinion on point # 3, are you talking about OS
> packages or your organizations app version? If the latter, I was thinking
> of using hiera, maybe with a backend other than yaml such as redis, to
> store the version of the app, that way like you said it could be used in
> deploy pipeline. Why wouldn't you want to do this?
> Drew

Hi Drew,
I'm using a yaml backend so I can't speak about other options. So here's my
disertation on why I (mostly) don't want version numbers in hiera.  In my
world view, our puppet code is just another component of our system.  When
I talk about our pipeline, I'm refering to deploying a version of our
service into an environment.  At the highest level, the service version
defines the version of all components - including puppet code.  BTW, it's
not a big flat table, just the tip of the dependency tree.

I get my religion from Continuous Delivery (Jez Humble, David Farley) and I
can only hope that I'm not misreading it.  Paraphrasing: You can break your
service much faster with a configuration change than with a code change in
one applications.  So configuration should be version controlled.

The direction I'm headed is to manage top level version control outside of
our puppet code - with one caveate.  We also have {%fqdn} as the first
entry in our hiera tree and the ability to override the version setting via
hiera.  But it comes with the following warning:
# FQDN should only be used for temporary overrides.

Cheers,
Larry