Yes it works perfectly, I run 2 puppet servers and one of them is the CA
using a CNAME as well for the puppet master/ca.

After it is set and working it is wonderful, however until you figure out
that you need to remove the ssldir, then run puppet with dns_alt_names,
then sign with dns_alt_names in the other side, then start the
apache2/passenger, then do a lot of more other tricks until you get out of
the certificate error messages it is a headache :)

Easy solution would be something that would be easier to setup, or maybe it
is just me trying to complicate things. :)