On Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:48:22 AM UTC+10, jcbollinger wrote:

> If you want your masters to rely on a revision control system for
> manifests, data, or whatever, then it follows that the masters must be
> permitted to access that system.  If they may not do so across network
> segments, then it follows that the repository must be hosted on the same
> segment as the masters.  It also follows that if the masters are on
> different segments then you need some kind of cross-segment replication of
> the revision-control repository.
>
> Furthermore, git is probably not the best choice of revision-control
> system for what I think you're asking.  As I understand git operation
> (which is imperfectly), you could certainly push changes to a remote
> repository, but you would also need to pull from the repository side before
> those changes would be available to other clients (such as the masters).
> This is different from the more traditional approach of systems such as
> Subversion.
>
> As far as how easy it is to manage your Puppet infrastructure, I don't
> think I understand how you're partitioning subsystems.  I would account
> everything you're talking about as part of managing Puppet, and clearly,
> operating under the constraints you describe is harder than operating
> without them.  On the other hand, if you postulate that the problem of
> getting the needed code and data into an accessible repository is solved
> and out of scope, then why would you suppose there would be any difference
> between managing Puppet in your environment and managing it in a
> less-constrained one?

John, thanks for your comments.

I was actually thinking of doing something similar to what Stephen Gran
suggested above; let rsync can take care of ensuring that all puppet
masters always have the same copy of the same code tree.  So in that
situation there is no need for the puppet masters to have access to the
revision control system.  Indeed, I am not even sure that this
configuration will be any more troublesome than having the puppet masters
contact the git repositories using git pulls.

What do you think?