Eric, I've not used the puppetlabs-release deb at all. my EC2 hosts have
the puppetlabs repo added at bootstrap time, through cloud-init user-data.
This is the entire config.

#cloud-config
manage_etc_hosts: true
hostname: <hostname>
fqdn: <hostname>.example.com
apt_sources:
 - source: "deb http://apt.puppetlabs.com $RELEASE main"
   keyid: 4BD6EC30
   filename: puppetlabs.list
apt_update: true
apt_upgrade: true
packages:
 - puppet
puppet:
  conf:
    agent:
      server: "puppet.example.com"
      certname: "%i.<hostname>.eu-west-1"

...where <hostname> is set to the, well, desired hostname. This is enough to
add the repo, install and configure Puppet and connect to our master, which
then takes over. Puppet then configures the server, including taking over
management of puppet.conf and puppetlabs.list.

To resolve this upgrade issue, I've made two changes. I've modified the
cloud-init script to correctly bootstrap new nodes:

source: "deb http://apt.puppetlabs.com $RELEASE main dependencies"

Also, I've fixed existing nodes by pushing a similar change through Puppet
before attempting the upgrade to 3.2.1.

Regards, Martijn