Pete,

thank you for suggestions. As for my environments: the users example is
just an example.
The same problem exists when I want to apply other config settings to
subset of servers.
We use The Foreman so this is one option. In general I wanted to ask you if
you could share your experience
regarding deploying hiera based puppet in more diverse environments.