Hi Damian,

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM, <damian.folw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> Did PuppetLabs ever get anywhere with ticket 13249.  I'm guessing not as
> it hasn't been updated for months.  I see that PE 3 is now available and
> that there has been plenty of activity on the Windows side of things (we
> are about to start a trial with it on some of our Windows estate as Windows
> support especially MCollective is much better).

Yes, mcollective is fully supported on windows now!

> Do you have any sort of timescale for this ticket.  I'd like to vote on it
> but the "gatekeepers" of our PE login details are not letting me near it
> (the sysadmins own it, we're an app development department and having some
> fun and games with them trying to do continuous deployment type stuff!).

I don't have a time estimate, other than to say that we are working on a
set of improvements to file system management, including NTFS ACLs,
symlinks, and some bug fixes, and it's one of our top priorities, along
with powershell and reboot support.

If you have any early release type versions of this I might be able to help
> out with some testing etc.

That'd be great! Managing the ACL via Win32 API's is not hard (we do much
of it today). The hard part is deciding how best to model the ACL in
puppet. Should it be a separate resource type or a property of the file
type? Do we create a new file acl type with multiple providers, e.g.
windows, solaris, etc? If so, what parameters and properties are common,
and which are unique to a specific provider, e.g. protected on windows?

Josh

--
Josh Cooper
Developer, Puppet Labs

*Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco - *
http://bit.ly/pupconf13*
**Register now and take advantage of the Final Countdown discount - save
15%!*