Hi John,

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 6:00 AM, jcbollinger <john.bollin...@stjude.org>wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:22:01 AM UTC-5, cha...@lyricalsoftware.comwrote:
>>

>> Hopefully my $0.02 can we worth something here ;) I'd argue that it's
>> really a separate resource type - since the ACL is related to the user
>> space. If you're going to extend it to multiple providers (solaris as per
>> your example) it's really similar in idea to RBAC. In fact, if you look at
>> Windows ACLs, RBAC, and set/get facl you pretty much have a new type.  Or
>> at least that's what I'd hope :)
>>

> And of course some Solaris is by no means the only Unix-y OS with ACL
> support.  It is available on Linux, too, at least for the most frequently
> used filesystems, and I'm sure there are others.  I'm inclined to agree
> that a type aimed at broad ACL / RBAC support would be a win.

Yep, I agree. Now, how exactly to map the type across different
implementations?

Windows ACLs support inheritance. An ACL can be marked as protected,
breaking inheritance, and for directories, everything below it.

ACEs specify a subject (SID) and the rights that are granted/denied. This
is a bitfield, though users are more typically used to saying "Full
Control" or "Read & Execute".

Windows ACEs can either be allow or deny, the order matters, and if no ACEs
match, access is denied.

An ACE for a directory can be marked as object-inherit and/or
container-inherit. This doesn't affect the effective permissions on the
directory, only files and subdirectories, respectively.

How are these similar & different to Unix-y ACLs?

Josh

--
Josh Cooper
Developer, Puppet Labs

*Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco - *
http://bit.ly/pupconf13*
**Register now and take advantage of the Final Countdown discount - save
15%!*