Git branching and environments is exactly what we did to solve this
problem. We are actually using gitolite which allows us to lock down who
can push to certain branches. So anyone can create their own branch, push
that up (which creates the proper directories through git hooks) and test
with --environment [branch_name] and then when they know it works great,
request a merge into our permanent environments like production and
testing. Once the new code is merged into its final home, the temporary
branch is deleted.

The hard part is the git hooks. We actually have a script that emulates the
"Github" WebHook URL functionality and a hook that "catches" that POST and
does all the magic. I included the web pages that helped me get our setup
working how we wanted it to.

https://github.com/metajack/notify-webhook
https://puppetlabs.com/blog/git-workflow-and-puppet-environments/