On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Sandra Schlichting <
littlesandr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Brian and John,
>
> Thanks a lot for your replies. I was under the impression that site.pp had
> to be in the environment, which I now see it doesn't have to. =)
>
> What I don't quite understand is though is the following:
>
> There are four forbidden environment names:
>>
>>    - main
>>

>>    - master
>>

>>    - agent
>>

>>    - user
>>
>> These names are already taken by the primary config
>> blocks<http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/configuring.html#config-blocks>.
>> If you are using Git branches for your environment names, this may mean
>> you’ll need to rename the master branch to something like production or
>> stable.
>

> How can a git branch name (master) conflict with content in the
> puppet.conf file?
>
> Hugs,
> Sandra =)

The environment name is just a directory within the
/etc/puppet/environments directory, nothing more.  If you use a git branch
named 'master', you will just have to check it out into an environment
directory with a different name, such as 'production', 'main', etc...  It
doesn't matter what you want to call the environment directory, as long as
it's not one of those 4 you mentioned above, and git does not care what the
name of the directory the files are checked out into.  Puppet is not doing
any sort of checking with git to see what the branch name is.

❧ Brian Mathis