Much of what I would suggest depends on the exact setup of your servers.

Here are a few generic suggestions:

You already want to use hiera. That's great, but like any tool, if you do not
use it properly, you can booger it all up.
I started using puppet before hiera and I can personally vouch for how great it
is to pull all the per-server data out of the main "code" base.
Hiera is built into puppet-master, so no worries there. I cannot speak about
mcollective as I do not use it (small buncha servers)

Use the hierarchy and priority to organize your servers by functional groups.

In my location, I started with a generic server (dev), then got a QA server,
and a production server from that. Production servers split into internal and
external (dmz).

I hope this helps you get started. Try not to do it all at once. Take it in
smaller steps.

“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”
Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)