On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:39:05 PM UTC-5, Forrie wrote:

> I have several NFS mounts to manage, on many systems.  On each system, I
> must ensure that the root directory and path exist and have the correct
> permissions beforehand, then ensure they are mounted in Puppet.

What Nick and Peter jointly described is certainly the approach I would
take to a problem of this general nature, but I want to point out that this
particular problem has another dimension that may cause you trouble:
conflation of the mount point directory and the root of the remote file
system.

This is not so much a Puppet issue as a Unix one: while a filesystem is
mounted on (say) /home/directory1, all references to that path are resolved
to the root of the mounted filesystem, whereas when nothing is mounted
there the path refers to the mount point directory.  Therefore, unless you
do something to ensure your FS unmounted before the File is applied, the
File will sometimes manage the local directory, but other times manage the
remote one.  That may be tolerable, but it will not work if you want
different properties for the mount point than for the root of the
filesystem mounted on it.

John