maling list <puppet.ml....@gmail.com> writes:

> It would be nice to be able to prepare for the most problem - before -
> breaking the setup.
>
> Does anybody has more experiences on this issue.

Seriously. Check your syslog _before_ upgrading. New features, scope
changes, and other potential problems are marked as "will be deprecated
in the next major release" in the syslog. Apart from that, read the
release notes.

Apart from that, I hope you've already done the following:

Read the release notes in the puppet documentation regarding upgrading.
Follow the steps described.

Upgrade your puppet master to the latest available patch release of your
current version of puppet. Deprecation warnings may have been added.
Check syslog again after running a few agents.

Copy your current puppet master to a virtual server, snapshot it, and
upgrade it. Point test clients to it, and see what breaks. Rollback to
the snapshot, fix the problem in a hopefully
compatible-with-the-old-release way, and try again.

If you're completely stuck, ask on the puppet user mailing list. :)

--
Stig Sandbeck Mathisen