On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 05:47:41PM -0400, Worker Bee wrote:
> I am having a bit of difficulty implementing hiera-gpg; particularly with
> accomplishing the deencryption in my manifests.  Can anyone either provide
> a simple example or point me to a good resource?  I have searched alot and
> am still struggling.
>
> Any help would be very appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
> Bee

You just need to have the hiera-gpg gem installed, make sure that gpg is
listed in the backends array in hiera.yaml, then the puppet user needs
to have the private key configured within it's $HOME/.gnupg -where $HOME
is usually /var/lib/puppet.

By default pgp keys are encrypted with a passphrase, which would need to
be supplied and held in a running keyring for that user, so was
previously working around this by using a non-passphrase protected
subkey.

I've now however moved away from hiera-gpg due to performance overhead
on large catalogs and moved to a git post-commit hook that decrypts any
.gpg files to .yaml within a dedicated hierarchy for decrypted files,
using that same insecure private subkey.

Cheers,
--
Richard Clark
rich...@fohnet.co.uk