Yes, I did set the max-threads count manually.  I'm pretty green, and
I'm under a fairly aggressive schedule, so I'm not very likely to file
a patch soon, but maybe once I get through the next two months.....I
expect not to be so green by then :-).  In the meantime I will work
out a workaround.  I only have 6 production masters to deploy so even
manual intervention will work but I figure I'll play with delivering
the file etc. before I go that route.

On the master service, that should help.  I will try the first
suggestion  and if it doesn't work I'll go with the second and make
sure my documentation has good warnings about watching it during
upgrades.

I really appreciate the pointers, thank you!

Pete