On Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:49:19 PM UTC-5, Rich Siegel wrote:

> So I have done a full os install using baremetal on a seemingly harder
> platform- windows.
>
> https://github.com/rismoney/puppet-baremetal-windows
>
> Now windows has a lot of nuances so it should be easier in theory to do
> something similar starting from *nix.
>
> In essence I use a linux pxe server to boot a live image of an os with
> puppet installed, and then all the config is deployed to get endpoint to
> make it as expected.  Based on a facter fact I know my host is in build
> mode or not.
>
> Its awesome and a build takes 20 min with no razor, only pure puppet, as
> all build config is backed in hiera.  Most of the repo is dedicated to
> reproducability of the entire solution whereas the execution a puppet code
> is relatively small to make the os how I want it.

Is it not true, though, that the Puppet code by which you achieve the OS
installation is totally different from what you would use to maintain any
part of the installed system post installation, via a client running on
it?  Most built-in Puppet resource types are designed to manage resources
belonging to the host OS, which during OS installation would be the PXE
image.

I'm glad that what you have works well for you, but I'm not seeing where
Puppet is bringing a big advantage to the OS install part.  I'm imagining
that it must involve primarily a bunch of Execs, and if that's true then I
wonder whether it would be as easy or easier to use ordinary scripts
installed locally on the PXE image to do the work instead.  Or any of the
various provisioning tools that are specifically designed for this sort of
work.  Can you help me out here?

John