On Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:48:10 AM UTC-5, David Thompson wrote:

> I've done some more testing, and there's something very funny going on.
>   In my manifests, I have the following:
>
>        notify {"Nagios Base: $fqdn $hostname $ipaddress": }
>        @@nagios_host { $fqdn:
>          ensure => present,
>          alias => $hostname,
>          address => $ipaddress,
>          use => "linux-server",
>        }
>
> On the hosts to be monitored, I see the notify, and, as I've said, I see
> the db inserts, but then nothing comes up in the REST query.  HOWEVER,
> if I take the lines above and put them in a separate .pp file and
> "puppet apply" that file, then I see the resources via the REST query.
> My understanding was that once a resource gets defined, that's the end
> of the story, but it's clearly not what's happening here.

It shouldn't make a difference, I don't think, but how are those
declarations positioned in your original code?  Are they in a class /
definition / node block, or are they at top level?

Also, is there any chance of resource parameter overrides being in play?
Specifically, overrides of the Nagios_hosts' 'ensure' parameters?

John