I am curious if you have also looked at the other package providers that
are out there - http://forge.puppetlabs.com/modules?q=windows+package
I can tell you that the chocolatey provider does allow ensure => latest.
Also the version on github is being improved to add source in addition to
other things and will be updated sometime in the future.

To answer your question about the uninstall with the windows package
built-in provider, are you seeing this with all MSIs or just a specific one
(perhaps that was custom built)?  MSIs should upgrade themselves, unless
there is an error in the MSI installer logic. Or if the logic allowed side
by side installs, in which case I don't think the provider takes that into
account.