Hi Gonzalo,

> I'm running Puppet in masterless mode and trying to make Puppet dashboard
> play nice with it in this non-standard setup.

some of the tricks that are useful in this kind of scenario are
encapsulated in puppet-git / ppg, which I've written, and use at
Remote Learner, where it is gradually taking over an infra with >2000
VMs.

   http://repo.or.cz/w/puppet-git.git

> I'd love to hear how other people are doing this. The process I have in mind
> is:
>
> 1) Run "puppet apply" from cron on each node

yep. You can use --detailed-exitcodes and do something smart about
failures. At the risk of sounding like a broken record... ppg has
example code...

> 2) Rsync (using --remove-sent-files) the reports from each node's
> /var/lib/puppet/reports dir back to the puppet dashboard server

In my case, the chosen transport mechanism is git protocol. ppg pushes
it back to a different git repo (pulls from puppet.git, pushes reports
to reports.git ) . There's code in ppg to "trim" git history.

> 3) Run rake:import

Instead of that, my code is using curl:

http://repo.or.cz/w/puppet-git.git/blob/670a12233f563d47e32e47f09214590e26451a5a:/ppg-reports-to-dashboard#l38

this is barely tested, and we haven't put it in prod yet. It mimics
what the puppet clients do.

> The issue I'm having is that rake:import will create a new failed task

I haven't got the foggiest idea about using rake:import. Have not dug
into Puppet/Dashboard/Ruby internals too deep yet.

cheers,

 martin.langh...@gmail.com
 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff