Hi Dan,

there's quite a bit. Google for 'masterless puppet howto' to find a
couple tutorials and discussions that are popular. Add 'git' to the
search string for more quality options...

The main benefits are

  - scalability
  - pull model -- see http://www.infrastructures.org/bootstrap/pushpull.shtml

The main drawbacks are

 - loss of some dynamic configuration features -- like the
configuration database, what'sitsname?
 - all clients see the whole configuration -- however I would be
personally unwilling to rely too much on this feature of the puppet
server

Myself, I "seeded" my architecture with those tutorials, and wrote the
ppg wrapper/scaffolding/infra I discussed above, which adds some good
bits that Puppet lacks:

 - scheduled rollouts (i.e.: make this effective at 3am)
 - force a specific rollout to happen _now_ (using an ssh loop with an
unprivileged account to touch an inotify  trigger)

Here's a reasonably good thread
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/puppet-users/7ZpAMrMb2NQ

cheers,

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Dan Ng <dan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just came across the dynamic of running Puppet in a masterless mode.  Was
> there a tutorial that you had followed in order to configure it that way?
>
> Thanks!
>

> On Monday, November 4, 2013 12:21:14 AM UTC-5, Gonzalo wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm running Puppet in masterless mode and trying to make Puppet dashboard
>> play nice with it in this non-standard setup.
>>
>> I'd love to hear how other people are doing this. The process I have in
>> mind is:
>>
>> 1) Run "puppet apply" from cron on each node
>> 2) Rsync (using --remove-sent-files) the reports from each node's
>> /var/lib/puppet/reports dir back to the puppet dashboard server
>> 3) Run rake:import
>>
>> The issue I'm having is that rake:import will create a new failed task for
>> every report that already exists in the database. It does skip them, but I
>> don't want to be notified it's a failed task when it skips them. I was
>> thinking of deleting old reports, but given that they get imported by the
>> delayed task workers, it is hard to know which reports have been processed
>> to avoid deleting a report that hasn't been imported yet.
>>
>> If I can find a way to stop it reporting skipped reports as failed tasks,
>> then I should be OK.
>>
>> Any ideas? Anyone else running Puppet dashboard with masterless Puppet?
>>
>> - GS

 martin.langh...@gmail.com
 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff