If you override something in a recursive directory, you're overriding
everything. The subdirectories are being managed explicitly by the resource
managing them, not by a combination of it and the parent. Look inline below:

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:12:21 AM UTC-8, Andy Spiegl wrote:

> http://christian.hofstaedtler.name/blog/2008/11/puppet-managing-directories-recursively.html
>

> I thought I had understood recursive directory management.  It worked
> fine until I switched to puppet v3 (Debian 3.3.2-1puppetla to be exact)
> Since then, files in subdirs aren't copied anymore.
>
> An example:
>   File {
>     owner => "nagios",
>     group => "nagios",
>     mode  => '0644',
>   }
>   file { '/var/lib/nagios':
>         ensure    => directory,
>     source    => 'puppet:///modules/nagios/var_lib_nagios',
>         recurse   => true,
>   }

Manages /var/lib/nagios with recurse true.

  file { '/var/lib/nagios/plugins':
>         ensure    => directory,
>         recurse   => true,
>         mode      => '0775',
>   }

Completely takes precedence over File['/var/lib/nagios'] and manages
'/var/lib/nagios/plugins' telling Puppet that all you care about is that
it's a directory with mode 775. Notice that you no longer have a source for
this subdirectory, so it's explicitly not managed.

If you add source => 'puppet:///modules/nagios/var_lib_nagios/plugins' then
I suspect you'll get what you want.