Howdy,

My organization has a pre-existing hiera configuration which uses
{calling_class}.yaml configuration files, like:

classes/base::openldap.yaml

Which get pulled into hiera via this path in the hierarchy.

:hierarchy:
  - "%{environment}/classes/%{calling_class}"

This does not work on Windows. Windows does not support colons in filenames
so the .yaml can't even be checked out from source control. This presents
issues when developing our puppet manifests on windows and sharing them
with a Vagrant VM, for example.

It'd be really nice if hiera supported reading calling_class files from
files which did not use colons as separators. Perhaps it could look up the
class via a 'backup' parameter if the colon version does not exist? (and
it'd have to do this on every OS.. since the problem is a directory which
is checked out on both windows and linux.. perhaps could be an option?)

As a workaround i was considering implementing a custom Hiera backend, but
i'm not sure if there is an easier method.

Thanks
-Ben