On Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:59:29 PM UTC+1, jcbollinger wrote:

> It only makes sense to export resources that are somehow specific to or
> characteristic of the node whose catalog is being compiled.  If you have
> such a resource to export, then structure your manifests so that no more
> than one declaration of the resource can be evaluated during any catalog
> compilation.  No need for any tests in that case.  If different nodes may
> export *similar* resources, then do ensure that they all have distinct
> titles (and names) across all nodes.
>
> On the other hand, if your resources are not characteristic of any
> particular node, then they are not suited for export.  We might be able to
> suggest specific alternatives if you explained what you are trying to
> achieve in more detail.

Basically my situation is the following:
- A database server
- Several web application servers.

The whole managed using foreman/puppet

My Web applications each need a database, so I would like to just export on
the web application nodes the databases I need, and collect them on the
database server. However, several nodes that run the same web application
of course need the same database. What do I do when I have two nodes, that
both need the same database?
The logical, intuitive solution would be to export it on all of them, but
only collect it once on the database server.

Other situations are : backends to a loadbalancer that export both frontend
and backend URLs. The loadbalancer collects both, and creates it's
configuration based on them.

Krist