On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:15:54 AM UTC-6, John Jordan wrote:

> Greetings,  I installed open-source puppet-server on RHEL 6 and in
> /etc/puppet I see the puppet.conf.
>
> I see entries like:
>
> # The default value is '$confdir/ssl'.
>     ssldir = $vardir/ssl
>
> My questions is where do (or should) these variables get set and why is
> the default here $vardir and not $confdir?
>
> Also is there a page that shows how to create your initial
> /etc/puppet/manifest/site.pp file?
> I did not get one during install

You could simply do "touch /etc/puppet/manifest/site.pp".  The file must be
readable by the puppetmaster process (so you might need to twiddle
ownership or permissions), but there is no specific required content.

As you are just starting to play with Puppet, the first (and maybe the
only) thing you are likely to want to put in your site.pp is one or more
node declarations.  Again, there is no specific content required for those
-- the whole point is that's were you declare what *you* want Puppet to
manage on the target node(s).

Overall, I would recommend that you read the "The Puppet Language" section
of the Puppet language reference
(http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/3/reference/index.html), and at least
skim the "Generated References"/"Resource Types" section.

John