graceful-stop seems to be a modest improvement but its not a panacea.
 AFAIK it only ensures that open connections are not dropped.  A puppet run
seems to involve multiple connections. At best this only completes
individual transactions before shutdown.   Also, when I look at this
problem in a bit more detail, the puppetmaster doesn't seem to know if
there are active puppet runs still in progress.

So the best I could hope for is a way to block new puppet runs from
starting and then waiting a reasonable length of time before halting the
service.  Is there anything in the puppetmaster arsenal that could allow it
to run without allowing new puppet runs to start?