Great having a discussion on testing.

I have to reread all your comments, having a busy week catching up with work after a week of having fun at all the puppetcamps.

I keep on tracking this thread, and will add my thoughts soon.

Thanks for all your comments'

Johan

On 15/04/14 15:46, Alexander Fortin wrote:
On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:10:05 PM UTC+2, Felix.Frank wrote:

    On 04/15/2014 09:25 AM, Nikola Petrov wrote:
    > I haven't used catalog-diff but I
    > am suspecting that it might be a substitute for the rspec tests.
    Tell me

    No. rspec allows you to implement unit tests to catch certain
    regression
    bugs. catalog-diff is rather concerned with integration testing
    (although you can use rspec for that as well).

I think with catalog-diff we're catching regression bugs too, meaning that if the module interface is broken in the proposed commit, it will show up as an error (unless no node is actually including the refactored module).

    > does it provide the following:
    >
    > * Automatic runs through guard/rake/whatever on every commit to
    verify
    > that I am not breaking things like permissions on files

    You could do that, but compiling each of your nodes' catalog on every
    commit would be excessive.

I agree it can be overkill for many environments, I guess depends on what you actually want to test, or better, what kind of confidence you want to have that your committed code is not actually breaking anything.

To me seems that the catalog-diff approach is catching a broad variety of problems, also some that (I think) can't be easily catch by expressions in rspec.

For example, somewhere in a random manifest I'm just changing declaration style for a class, from 'include myclass' to "class {'myclass': }", leading to possible declaration dependency order / duplicated declarations problems: Node A (which I am currently working on) is including only one declaration, but node B was evaluating that class declaration two times, hence the duplicate declaration only on node B.

Can rspec-puppet catch also this kind of problems? More in general, I'd like to know if rspec-puppet can give me the confidence that, given a node resource, the new version of the catalog will compile for that node.
 --
Alex
--

Johan De Wit

Open Source Consultant

Red Hat Certified Engineer              (805008667232363)
Puppet Certified Professional 2013/2014 (PCP0000006)
Open-Future Phone +32 (0)2/255 70 70
Zavelstraat 72              Fax       +32 (0)2/255 70 71
3071 KORTENBERG             Mobile    +32 (0)474/42 40 73
BELGIUM                     http://www.open-future.be

Next Events:
Puppet Introduction Course |
http://www.open-future.be/puppet-introduction-course-14th-april