Hi all,

We use the roles/profiles/components model originally suggested by Craig
Dunn fairly heavily.  In our case:

   - The role is a business name, like "Application X App Server"
   - The profile is the technical name, like "Base Components" or
   "Webserver"
   - The components are either wrapper classes around modules or modules
   themselves, like "PHP" or "Apache".

For the most part, this works well.  We can have, for example:

   - MyFace Application Server
      - Base Components
         - SSSD
         - Sudo
         - NTP
      - PHP Webserver
         - PHP
         - Apache
         - PHP-FPM
         - Memcache

However, we're running into trouble how to handle the situation where you're
running a box with multiple functions... for example, WordPress and Drupal.
 In that case, how do you handle configuration conflicts?  On the surface,
it seems like we would create a more generic profile like "PHP Webserver"
(like I did in the above example).  If I do this, however, I lose the
ability to define profile specific variables such as firewall rules, cron
jobs, etc.

Any thoughts on this?

Best,

Matt