On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Jim Ficarra <jimfica...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   Thanks for replying, Josh.
>
> I just tried your suggestion but the same thing happens.
>
> install_options => ['-silent', '-waitforcompletion', '-noconsole'.
> '-responseFile', 'D:\Build\Ora11gclient.rsp'],
>
> It spawns several processes (javaw, oui, etc) and then it unzips the files
> (I see unzip.exe execute in task mgr, and I see the files expanded in the
> puppet users appdata/local/temp folder) then it hangs with the following
> processes hung (in the security context of the service account under which
> the puppet service is running) ā€“ 0% CPU utilization on these processes.
>
> conhost.exe (two of them), ruby.exe*32 (two of them), setup.exe*32,
> oui.exe*32, javaw.exe*32, cmd.exe*32 (two of them) hanging with 0 CPU
> utilization.
>
> I have turned on debugging and I get the following in the event log
> shortly before it hangs.
> Executing 'cmd.exe /c start "puppet-install" /w
> D:\Build\Oracle11gclient\setup.exe -silent -noconsole -waitforcompletion
> -responseFile D:\Build\Ora11gclient.rsp'
>
> It eventually times out.
>
> Any other thoughts?  The odd thing is that I can install this from the
> command line with the same options, so I know I have the options correct.
> Are these processes getting orphaned? Iā€™m guessing based on the behavior,
> but it looks like the install kicks off several processes, and after the
> unzip the other processes seem to be waiting for some signal that never
> happens.
>
> Any additional thoughts?

Are you running `puppet apply` or `puppet agent` when the hang happens? In
either case, I'd recommending using process explorer to find the child
process that all of those are waiting on. As a first approximation, you can
usually use procexp to see if one of the threads is calling MessageBoxA,
e.g. a service that tries to display a message dialog on the service window
station.

Second, is D: a mapped drive? If so, then puppet running as LocalSystem
won't be able to access it (as specified).

Also, it would help if you could provide your response file with redacted
passwords, etc.