I don't believe that is possible.
You will probably need to collate all the files in customers/ into one file.

I am going to hazard a guess that you have data relating to your
customers in that directory.
If the data in those files is specific to each customer and each of
your nodes had only one customer on it you could set a custom fact and
use that to as a lookup in your hiera tree.
Does that make sense?