The ENC can pass on any variable you wish to define and they can be used by
Hiera.
I haven't got around to implementing a true CMDB yet so I use a very simple
ruby script as my ENC. It reads the hieradata/nodes/fqdn.yaml file for a
"role" value and returns that in the output to puppet. My hiera.yaml
hierarchy includes "hieradata/roles/%role"
The output of the ENC is very specific, if you can't find the information
you need to get it to work I'll find out if I can share my ENC script with
you off-list.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Grant Street <grantfstr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey
> Thanks for the reply
>
> I want the ENC to pass on variables or the like so that these can be used
> by hiera to apply roles/profiles etc.
>
> eg
> ENC returns a nodes software role eg role: desktop_software
> Then hiera can load the desktop_software.yaml file to apply that software
> role as part of it's normal hierarchy.
>
> Is that possible? What would it envolve?
>
> Grant
>

> On Friday, July 25, 2014 1:34:10 AM UTC+10, Atom Powers wrote:
>>
>> Grant,
>>
>> You probably want to use an ENC, which will allow you to define any fact
>> from a specified datasource.
>> In a simple implementation I use an ENC to read the node's hiera file and
>> output a few facts, such as a node's role/group, which are then used by
>> hiera to define additional information for Puppet.
>>

>>  --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/e811237c-edfc-4eb3-b19a-af4f6e182f8b%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/e811237c-edfc-4eb3-b19a-af4f6e182f8b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--