On Friday, September 19, 2014 12:59:34 PM UTC-5, Jake Lundberg wrote:

> Puppet 3.6.2
>
> First, I understand that Execs try not to run multiple times if called
> many times by many resources and typically wait until they've all been
> "collected" from all resources

Not exactly.  Execs run at most twice per Puppet run.  They run at most
once if they are refreshonly or if they do not receive any events from
other resources.  (If they are refreshonly then they run *only* if they
receive an event from another resource.)  When they run relative to when
other resources are applied (and whether resources send them events) is
shaped by resource relationships, just as with all other resource types.

ObYoda: "Do... or do not.  There is no 'try'."

> , but I have a specific case where I need different Execs to run in a
> particular order based on a set of resources that change.

That's what resource relationships are for.  Cristian has showed you how.
If that doesn't seem to be working for you then it would help us help you
if you present a complete -- but simple -- example that demonstrates your
problem.

John