Hi,

well at least on my debian, the percona-server package "provides" mysql, a
meta-package. Installing Percona sees to it that MySQL (or MariaDB) is
purged from the system first. So the way I see it, you have no need to
remove mysql from your machine. Just install percona-server, this will see
to the removel of mysql.

Regards
Jochen