On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Dirk Heinrichs <d...@recommind.com> wrote:

>  Am 05.12.2014 um 19:03 schrieb Rob Reynolds:
>
>  Trying to upgrade Puppet with Puppet on Windows is harder because
> Windows locks files that are in use instead of letting you replace them in
> place.
>

> That's not true. Upgrading Puppet with Puppet on Windows works just fine.
> Downgrade is a different story, depending on the versions involved. I've
> alread done upgrades from 3.2.1 to 3.4.3 and I'm currently in the process
> of upgrading ~150 Windows agents from 3.4.3 (32bit) to 3.7.3 (64bit) and I
> don't see any problems related to file locks.

It is true, but let me explain a little bit so you see what I mean by
*harder*.

The part about Windows locking files that are in use is true, but MSI
forces the processes to exit, so the files are no longer locked (but Puppet
is no longer running either).  The thing you may not realize here is that
Puppet exits abruptly mid-run so that the MSI can take over so you get an
incomplete report because Puppet is no longer running once the MSI shuts it
down. So if you had anything else you wanted to do, you hope that the MSI
upgrade completes successfully (because you don't get the report sent from
the upgrade, and you don't get a success). Then you hope the newer Puppet
installs fine and then checks back in once it is upgraded.

So when I say it locks files instead of letting you replace them in place,
it's because we have to force Puppet to exit so we can continue the
upgrade. On Linux, while everything is in memory, you can completely change
out the files on disk. When I say it is harder because of that locking, the
longer explanation above is what I am talking about. Some folks would be
fine with having Puppet just exit and not submit a report, but I'm not sure
if everyone would be fine with that.

I think we can do better, I don't think having Puppet exit to perform an
upgrade is a sufficient answer.

> Bye...
>
>     Dirk
> --
>
> *Dirk Heinrichs*, Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Solutions
> *Recommind GmbH*, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach
> *Tel*: +49 2226 1596666 (Ansage) 1149
> *Email*: d...@recommind.com
> *Skype*: dirk.heinrichs.recommind
> www.recommind.com

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/5485B666.6030505%40recommind.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/5485B666.6030505%40recommind.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Rob Reynolds
Developer, Puppet Labs

*Join us at **PuppetConf 2015, October 5-9 in Portland, OR - *
http://2015.puppetconf.com/
*Register early to save 40%!*