in
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/provider/service/debian.rb
the lines:

    if ((os == 'debian' && majversion >= 8) || (os == 'ubuntu' &&
majversion >= 15))
      # SysVInit scripts will always return '0' for status when the service
is masked,
      # even if the service is actually stopped. Use the SysVInit-Systemd
compatibility
      # layer to determine the actual status. This is only necessary when
the SysVInit
      # version of a service is queried. I.e, 'ntp' instead of
'ntp.service'.
      (@resource[:hasstatus] == :true) && ["systemctl", "is-active",
@resource[:name]]
    else
      super
    end

this force people to install the systemd package where there is not any
need for it. I don't think puppet should force install of unecessary
package, if we want systemd we would not overide the default provider to
debian and let it to systemd therefor those lines are more a pain thn an
help for me.

best regards,
Ghislain.