Hey Ghislain!

>   Right now until this particular push of new code all was working as
> intended for us, but this code was added in the service sysV init provider
> a check of systemD  in the sysvinit part. So you can be an advocate  of
> systemd and there is no problem on that but sytemd cannot work on a lot of
> situations and i do not see the point of calling it inside a sysvinit part
> without any way to ovveride  this choice :) If people install systemd they
> will use the systemd provider not the sysvinit one.

Indeed, the code block you pointed out was added recently to deal with the
peculiarities of the systemd / init compatibility layer. Namely, as you
mentioned, init script return values are inconsistent in Debian 8 / Ubuntu
15.04 and are not consistent with systemd's status reports. This fix works
fine on standard installations which include systemd, and brings some
consistency between systemd and init. However, the use case of a system
which has had systemd removed or otherwise not present was not considered
when originally making this change.

> Also i assume it should not be that hard to test for the systemd package
> to be present to allow this test or not and therefor make ascended
> compatibility work as it was before this code change :)

Correct - this is actually a pretty simple fix which I've got a pull
request for up at https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/pull/4466 (see the
ticket at https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-5548). I fired up a
Debian 8 box and followed the steps
at
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation

to purge systemd and make sysvinit the main unit, and everything looked to
be working correctly from puppet's perspective.

Feel free to leave comments on the pull request or ticket. Hopefully this
minor change will be everything required to get you back up and running.