On 23/05/16 23:16, Christopher Wood wrote:
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 03:51:58PM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
How hard is it to retro fit SVN / GIT onto a puppet install.

I am building from scratch, working through the doco.

Was thinking once I have a friendly setup then I would look at putting
that into SVN/GIT.

Do yourself a huge favour, use git as the tool you use to construct the setup.
Use it from the start of the process, not just as what you put things into when
you're done.

+1

Thoughts are
install puppet
install puppetDB
install heira ??

Since you are starting fresh. You are probably starting with something like Puppet 4.4.x and since puppet 4.0.0 the packaging is "all in one" for puppet. There is no need to install hiera separately.

- henrik

setup environments, currently thinking
Prod - all prod env
SIM - testing for prod
INF - inf
NON Prod - anything thats not above
dev - testing
alex - personal

Then I was going to create a whole bundle of profiles break up into

OS app
things like
smtp
ssh
http
etc

have the default company setup

Company Apps
things that cover company apps

Then build some roles - based solely from profiles.

Then some how dynamically assign nodes to a roles / environment.

Sounds okay ??