Hi,

I'm working to prototype an upgrade of our environment to puppet 4.10 and
use hiera 5 data layers.  Today, we're running puppet 3, and I've
refactored a our main modules to use hiera module data instead of
params.pp.  It better suits our needs to have the data layers setup this
way.  This prototype is also leveraging r10k, so the environment data is
stored in a control repo branch for each puppet environment.

Anyway, I'm struggling because the when I run puppet lookup on the puppet
master, I get a value for a parameter that hiera should be serving data.
 In the module data layer, the parameter defaults to facts.hostname.  When
I run puppet agent or puppet lookup on a node that this module is applied
to, I get nothing...e.g. if I use that piece of data in an apache::vhost
define, the config file in /etc/httpd/conf.d/ is 25-.mydomain.com.conf
where it should be 25-www.mydomain.com.conf because www is the value
parameter hiera is looking up.  The same result holds true even when I
override the default value with something specific at the environment
layer, the lookup on the puppet master produces the right value but the
lookup on the agent returns nothing.

I'm something at a loss of what could cause this with out any errors or
useful information produced.  Might anyone have an idea where I've gone
wrong?

Thanks!