Ok, I think I discovered the issues.

1.  for the r10k control repo, I cloned puppetlabs example, which has a
directory called hieradata, but not hiera.yaml starter file.  So I think
when I copied from the example of a hiera 5 config file, it uses the
default data dir as "data", I needed this to be "hieradata".

2.  for my demo module, it appears I wasn't handling params correctly, and
it seems that I can't fully qualify parameters in my code.  using
$::demo::webhost produced an undefined variable warning.

Fixing these two things up and now I have working data.