Am Donnerstag, 19. April 2018 19:18:34 UTC+2 schrieb Christopher Wood:

> To challenge an assumption, what are you gaining from having more than one
> puppet infrastructure (puppetservers+puppetdb)?
>
> Could you perhaps handle your dev stuff with another environment or set of
> puppetservers under the same CA with the same puppetdb?
>
> Is there any reason for a separate puppet infrastructure to live longer
> than it takes to proof an upgrade for production?

I can't just throw away the dev infra after preparing changes for prod
because of non-technical reasons. i'm limiting the usage of the dev system
as much as I can, but there will be system connected to this dev infra. but
I also want the data in the prod puppetdb to have a single point to make
queries/reports (third party departments) or run octocatalog-diff to run
against real facts from any system.

Another usecase could be to have a async puppetdb connection from the
second datacenter. If the connection between the datacenters is not  stable
enough to use a single puppetdb I would need to add a puppetdb per DC.Then
I also would want to sync data to the central puppetdb instance.

- Thomas