On 4/19/18 4:46 AM, Thomas Müller wrote:
HI

I've got some prod puppetserver/puppetdb and some dev puppetserver/puppetdb. But to have the complete overview over all nodes with the prod puppetdb I'd like to import the reports from the dev puppetserver (stored by reports=store config) into the prod puppetdb.

is there some hidden tool to do so? I wasn't able to find anything in that direction.

Reading https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetdb/blob/master/puppet/lib/puppet/reports/puppetdb.rb this could maybe adapted to read a yaml file and then send it to puppetdb.

If I'm understanding you right, you could normally use the import/export tools for this:

https://puppet.com/docs/puppetdb/5.0/anonymization.html#using-the-export-command

There's a corresponding "admin" API on PuppetDB you can search for. The process would be to do an export, extract the resulting tarball and remove everything but reports (if desired), then tar it up again and run it through the import tool. Unfortunately though, this is broken for me on current PDB due to PDB-3796. If you're on an older version it may be worth a try -- it worked at some point. If you've got the bug it'll cause your dev server to OOM and restart.

Assuming that's broken for you too, I think the most tractable way to do what you're asking is basically what you're suggesting -- either parse the yaml reports into the report wire format (https://puppet.com/docs/puppetdb/5.1/api/wire_format/report_format_v8.html) and post to your prod PDB's commands endpoint (https://puppet.com/docs/puppetdb/5.1/api/command/v1/commands.html) or get the json reports out of your dev PuppetDB, in batches to work around the bug, and do the equivalent parsing/posting. The wire formats change from time to time so take care to use whatever version of the docs aligns with your PDB version.

Wyatt

- Thomas
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:puppet-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/d5a3b811-655f-4497-84de-a5693954d08e%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/d5a3b811-655f-4497-84de-a5693954d08e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.