Thanks for the feedback! We'll have docs around the upgrade scenario out
shortly. We had instructions around exactly what you did in release notes
<https://puppet.com/docs/puppetserver/5.3/release_notes.html#new-features>
for the 5.5 version where we started shipping the gem, as the best way
forward to switch to using it in an existing install. I think that will
probably continue to be the easiest way to enable the gem moving forward as
well when upgrading.

Using the extension allows us to ship an auth.conf file that works out of
the box for FOSS users doing new installs (we don't know their server
hostnames ahead of time, and using something like localhost can be
insecure). It's also resistant to hostname changes on the CA node.

Please let us know if you have any other issues!