Bram and Konrad,

I'm personally interested in your perspective on multi-node testing.

In my experience with our stack of around 100 modules, I've found that
single node testing is marginally better than spec testing in that it tells
you if a service actually starts. However, my project has found that
multi-node testing is the only way to know if most services (outside of
node-only services) actually function properly.

For instance, we found that perfectly valid rsyslog configurations would
cause the daemon to start and appear to be functioning properly but that
remote queueing, forwarding to multiple hosts, etc... was horribly broken.
This was only possible to troubleshoot with multi-node environments via
beaker (without writing something like beaker ourselves from scratch).

I understand that we're the minority but I think that it's a gap that has
significant real-world implications across the board.

Note, we do use InSpec for compliance testing and have actually integrated
it with Beaker in the simp-beaker-helpers gem.

Thanks,

Trevor

--
Trevor Vaughan