If you're referring to hiera-eyaml-vault
<https://github.com/crayfishx/hiera-eyaml-vault>, that's not pulling
secrets out of Vault -- it's using the transit encryption provider in place
of gpg keys and storing those in yaml. It's a neat approach but not what
I'm looking for.

There is petems-hiera_vault
<https://github.com/petems/petems-hiera_vault> which
is close -- it retrieves secrets straight from Vault, but the puppet server
is doing the retrieving and means that the server needs privileged access
to all the secrets in Vault that agents' would need.

vault_lookup <https://github.com/voxpupuli/puppet-vault_lookup> uses
Deferred functions to have the agent authenticate and retrieve secrets from
Vault, which lets me assign a policy based on the host, so it can only see
the secrets it needs. It works great! I simply want that functionality in
hiera.

What I've done is similar to petems-hiera_vault except I return a Deferred
function to perform the vault_lookup::lookup on the agent side rather than
perform the vault lookup on the server side.

Thanks,

Aaron

--
Aaron Russo (He/Him/His)