We're using the vault_lookup[1] module to retrieve secrets from Vault via
mTLS. It works fairly well when grabbing secrets within a manifest.

However it feels like an anti-pattern by forcing lookups into our manifests
when we want to keep that in Hiera. I found a previous related thread[2]
where Henrik suggested writing a custom backend for Hiera and return a
Deferred.

However after doing what I thought was the correct thing, and returning a
Deferred in our custom backend, the value in the file ends up being the
literal string 'Deferred ...' and not being evaluated. I even wrote a quick
manifest to check if a Deferred is being returned by Hiera/APL and it does
not seem to be the case -- Hiera is returning a String representation of it.

So my question is -- is it possible to actually return a Deferred via a
Hiera lookup_key backend and if so, what might I be doing wrong? Sanitized
code / outputs / etc provided[3] for mocking.

Versions:
 puppet: 7.20.0
 puppetserver: 7.8.0
 puppetlabs/stdlib: 8.30